January 5, 2010

It's Back!

It has been a long time! A really long time since I actually produced a garment in that sewing studio of mine. Lots of sewing lounge prototypes, some Christmas gifts (including the....snuggies - I know, I know), and costumes for the Young Women's Drumming Empowerment Project and my niece Katy.

But then came the New Year's weekend and three days without anything to do - BUT SEW! So here is the first of two (previously unfinished) garments I finished....

Go ahead - say it! "Where is your horse, Laura!" Yea, I agree - this ensemble is a bit "horse country, Middleburg set, have you met my good friend Michaele Salahi?" But, hey, the outfit is done! Who knows if I'll actually ever WEAR the pieces together - except, maybe, if we end up at the Gold Cup races again!!


The cape pattern was based loosely on New Look 6833 and the skirt pattern is from a pattern I drafted a long long time ago.
I constructed the skirt using the couture techniques that Susan Khalje shared with us this summer. Hand-picked zipper, underlined with silk organza, wide seams, hand stitching everywhere! Took forever but I love how it looks and FEELS! Gone are the days of whipping up a skirt in an hour!!! I am forever a slave to "crack couture"!

Closure from my trip to Norway to see the relatives!

Detail of the slit for the belt

Voila... (or, perhaps, Hi Ho Silver!!)


And here is a preview of the other garment from last weekend......
Stay tuned!!

(Now if I could conjure up enough nerve to tackle my NYC Sit and Sew dress!?)

Thanks for listenin'

.

9 comments:

julia said...

I love this outfit. I just wish I was your size so that it would look as good on me as it does on you!

Lindsay T said...

Not too horsey at all and really attractive, in fact. Me too, slave to couture sewing now. I guess there's not turning back...

Kristine said...

Fantastic outfit, I love it!!! Muster up the courage and GO FINISH YOUR SHEATH DRESS!!!

gwensews said...

I think your outfit is divine, and it looks beautiful on you. It is elegant and timeless. I love couture techniques also, and gone are the days of quick and easy sewing, except maybe, for t-shirts. Love the clasp on the back of your skirt. I took 6 of those off an old sweater.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love the outfit and can't wait to see more of that lime green dress!!!

JC said...

Laura, that's a nice cape. Thx again for the birthday greeting on FB. :-) Love all of your outfits and glad to see you carved out some sewing time.

Ivalyn "Tee" Jones-Actie said...

You look great!

mem said...

adore your outfit . NOT horsey , looks gorgeous and I love the clasp in particular . Wear it often . The skirt just oozes quality and isnt it great to engage in "slow Sewing " and enjoy the process.

ClaireOKC said...

This is a great look. But what makes it so great looking is your sewing techniques. Everything looks finished and beautifully tailored - and it fits! That's why it works - so...

Tally ho, anyone!!!