DC Threads hosted DC's czarinas of vintage fashion to a packed crowd at Bits of Threads Sewing Studio. Lisa of Quarterlife 202, Erin and Nora from Ginger Root and Shannan of Junction Vintage shared their collective wisdom and tales with over 50 sewists and vintage fashionistas.
Shannan started the evening off with "ReFab 101" discussing the difference between thrift, consignment and vintage. She also shared with us how she took the vision for Junction Vintage and grew it into a thriving business. Lisa, with her expnsive knowledge of the DC world of vintage, gave us some insider's tips on how to make sense of the madness that sometimes besets us as we approach a consignment or vintage store or collection. She also had loads of tips about how to "shop your closet". Last, but certainly not least, were the girls from Ginger Root. Their amazing mission of translating landfill bound garments and fabric into uber-chic garments captured the crowd's creative hearts! They brought along some amazing examples of their work! The crowd had LOTS of questions and the panelists didn't disappoint! Here are some of the resources that they referenced during the event:
- The Swapaholics: www.theswapaholics.com
- This Google map of thrift stores in the area is pretty awesome: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=nrl&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnscm&resnum=1&biw=1408&bih=645&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=thrift+stores+washington+dc&fb=1&gl=us&hq=thrift+stores&hnear=Washington+D.C.,+DC&ei=ug_DTZvIAs6gtwfw9omlBQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CA8QtgMwAA (oops it is larrrrge)
- The Vintage Fashion Guild is a good resource to have on hand: http://vintagefashionguild.org
- Hidden Treasures
- Preparing to go thrifting
- Day of thrifting tips
- Vintage resource websites
And many thanks to Fabric and Trimmings for donating the chic seersucker cut of fabric!
Let's let the evening's pics speak for themselves!
Ginger Root transforms an 80's style jacket into lattice-inspired work of art
Some of the 50 vintage fashionistas at the Bits of Threads Sewing Studio
Another garment rescued from the landfill and "refabbed' into a flirty summer skirt
Allison and Laura draw the winning raffle ticket for the fab fabric from Fabric and Trimmings
Another 80's style "K Street Lawyer's Dress" refashioned into a chic peek-a-boo back sheath
Many many many thanks for your support of DC Threads and our Sip and Stitch Events!