June 3, 2007

A Study in Stripes

I am trying to move forward and polish some skills that have gotten a tad rusty as a result of my long sewing hiatus. During a recent open studio I had a discussion with a young sewist about matching stripes and plaids - I explained the need to think about the plaid/stripe when choosing a pattern, the need to spend time planning the layout, and the need for meticulous pinning! I realized that it had been quite some time since I had had to match a stripe or plaid! So, needing a new summer work skirt and having an ancient piece of cotton stripe in my fabric cache, I began my summer self-study program! Using a favorite skirt pattern (New Look 6413), I decided to add interest by running the stripes on the center front panel vertically and the side and back panels horizontally. In general, the stripes are aligned (depending on your degree of compulsiveness); however, my darts caused me the most problems and, ultimately, I was unable to match precisely the stripes at the darts. Frankly it seems to me a virtually impossible task.
Here are the photos....


Side seam alignment

Dart alignment

So any help with the dart issue is greatly appreciated!!!
Laura

No comments: