Oh ye of little faith! My prediction is that this pledge might not be as difficult to uphold in 2014 as it would have been in 2009. Several factors conspire to bolster my chances of success....
- I have TOO MANY DAMN CLOTHES - most of which I rarely wear. I know that I am not alone in this transgression!(Image is from Elisheva: http://bellabusta.tumblr.com/post/36816418436/cluttered-cramped-and-crowded-closets-why-do-we-own)
- I find myself shopping for the ultimate bargain and end up buying lots of inexpensive - strike that - CHEAP garments that last slightly longer than the new chew toys that we buy for Bogey (our chew-toy-destroying-Golden-Retriever)
- I have become a complete devotee of (read: obsessed with) buying vintage, consignment and/or thrift - - perhaps too much of a devotee (which has contributed to #1 on this list!). Unfortunately it appears that my RTW fast also extends to these types of purchases so this is where my self-control gene needs to up-regulate!
- I love "up-cycling" clothing that I am gifted or have purchased as part of my #3 obsession
- I am reading "Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion" by Elizabeth Cline. The Huffington post describes her book this way: "Cline dissects the current state of global fashion production and consumption, putting America's habits into a pretty dim perspective."
The Huffington Post goes on to provide several examples from Ms. Cline's tome (which I will brazenly share here because I am now officially late in getting ready for work!!)
Thank you for your PATIENCE in reading this long, wordy and nearly photo-less post - clearly my SELF-CONTROL was not engaged this morning - but I wanted to share with you (or perhaps remind myself) why I joined Ms Gunn's merry band of fasters when so many of us continue to gorge ourselves on fast clothing!