April 5, 2009

Sewing Lounge - EAT YOUR BEETS!!!


Here is project #2 for next weekend's DC Threads Sewing Lounge - a Tres Chic and Ah Bueno re-fashioned T-Shirt! Hard to believe all those ruffles and that ruching were once an old "beat" up Beets Tee!!!



P.S.
Thanks to all who have written to me about this T-Shirt design. Many of you have inquired about the neckline construction. Here goes:

Decide how wide and low you want the finished neckline to be and clip away (there is the photo of this in the slideshow). The next step is to apply the elastic directly to the t-shirt fabric - there is no casing. My design had the neckline end about 2 inches in from the top of my shoulder. I measured across my upper chest (above the front neckline about 1 inch or so) and doubled that measurement to determine the length of elastic I would need - for my shirt I think my elastic measured about 22 inches total (but please be certain to take your individual measurement as everyone's upper chest is different!!). You can adjust the elastic length depending on the amount of "ruffle" you can tolerate! Be certain not to stretch your elastic when you measure. To apply the elastic you will need to divide the elastic into quarters and pin the elastic (at the quarter markings) to the shoulder seams and to the center front and center back. Please note that the unstretched elastic will be considerably shorter than the neckline. Stretch the elastic to fit as you sew using a zigzag stitch. Voile!
Here is a very quick diagram that may help - - or not (I am clearly NOT an artist - it's an embarrassment!!!)

2 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I LOVE what you did with that T-shirt. I usually hate and never wear them but love your twist. How did you finish the neck and sleeve edges. Please share that with me because instead of trashing my t-shirts I have I would love to refashion them instead.

The Fru-Gals said...

I am beyond the help of your adorable sketches.

I can't imagine anything worse than jersey plus elastic. I'm sure I'd wind up with some sort of post apocalyptic flash dance costume. Or a dememted Fraulein Maria get up. Or worse.

How bout you just send me that one?

S