April 5, 2009

Some Sewing Done!

Ah, finally, productivity (like I sit around eating bon-bons all week!) - sewing productivity, that is! As you can see I spent more time last week looking at what other designers are creating (for the Divine Ms O) than sewing myself! So here are two of the three garments on my to-do list for this weekend (isn't this supposed to be a hobby??)

Re-Fashioned Jean Skirt for this month's DC Threads Sewing Lounge - this month we're focusing on stretching your fashionista budget while steering GREEN!

I haven't made a jean skirt since high school (1902 - kidding-kidding!!) but in these tight economic times I'm sure that alot of us feel like we have as much money in the bank as we did in high school! The skirt is very straightforward to construct - the only tricky parts are determining the correct size for the front and back inserts and getting the dreaded crotch to align and lie flat!! And it's a little tricky stitching in the inserts - you tend to be working in a tight space with lots of fabric ends trying to sneak into the path of the needle! My seam-ripper was my faithful companion more than once!! This will be a great skirt to wear to the beach or to the farmer's market.

I updated this rendition by adding an Asian-inspired bias trim band on the hem,
on one front pocket,
and on one of the rear pockets
I made the bias tape using this bias tape maker (doh!) and fabric left over from the centerpieces I made for last year's ASG annual meeting.

Front panel insert

Back insert

One down (and a whole week before the Lounge!)


5 comments:

AmyP said...

That's really a cute skirt! I'd love to see it on you. I might even go digging around in my jeans drawer this week...

Julia said...

I bought jeans the other day that I decided I hated after I got them home and wore them once. I will have to remake them into something else. I wonder if an old woman like me could get away with a much longer version of this. Or should I just stick to sewing for the grands.

The Fru-Gals said...

what is this bias tape maker thing of which you speak?

I love the jean skirt. Now if only I had a Chi O t-shirt, some argyle socks and a pair of clogs to complete the look

Laura Lee said...

Dear Fru-Gals
Easy on the 1980's fashion statements! Some of us don't like change! Besides, I think I already re-fashioned the socks into plastic bag holders and the clogs are book-ends!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! It's so simple but makes such a big difference. Love the bias tape too, that adds a nice touch.